7" display readable in the light of the sun

7" display readable in the light of the sun

Alessandro Villa

Hi Folks,

I'm a glider pilot, I own a Ventus 2ct sailplane.

I always used See-You running on a Vertica 2, 5inch screen (Oudie like)

I would like to replace the Vertica 5" with a larger screen. For me the ideal would be a 7" readable in the light of the sun (of course), whose maps are zoommable with pinch to zoom feature.

If in order to change the display screen I have to switch from See-You to XC-Soar, that's fine.

Which HW do you suggest?

I would connect it to FLARM, in order to have Flarm screens on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and have safe, speedy and long flights,

Alessandro 4A

Re: 7" display readable in the light of the sun

Martin Kopplow
Hi Alessandro,

if you want pinch zoom, 7" and XCSoar, you will most probably want to use some kind of Android tablet. Everything else might require assembling stuff yourself, like the PC based systems that have been built or e.g. the Open Vario Project. You may want to search the web for the latter, it is pretty interesting.

BTW.: Wow! Room for a 7" screen, you must have monster glider! ;0)

Viele Grüße
Martin Kopplow

Mobil +49 171 7984740

---

Am 14.02.2016 um 23:10 schrieb "Alessandro Villa" <[hidden email]>:

Hi Folks,

I'm a glider pilot, I own a Ventus 2ct sailplane.

I always used See-You running on a Vertica 2, 5inch screen (Oudie like)

I would like to replace the Vertica 5" with a larger screen. For me the ideal would be a 7" readable in the light of the sun (of course), whose maps are zoommable with pinch to zoom feature.

If in order to change the display screen I have to switch from See-You to XC-Soar, that's fine.

Which HW do you suggest?

I would connect it to FLARM, in order to have Flarm screens on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and have safe, speedy and long flights,

Alessandro 4A

Re: 7" display readable in the light of the sun

Winfried Schöch
Hi,

a club mate of mine is pretty happy with his Nexus 7 2013 plus anti glare shield. Note that there are significant differences between the old (2012) and the new Nexus 7, cf., e.g., here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-109648.html

I wouldn't recommend the use of pinch to zoom. XCSoar uses simple swipe up/down gestures for zoom for a reason. Easier to use in turbulence. As to the Flarm connectivity, I use the K6BT adapter for my Android Smartphone (Nexus 5, OK but not exceptionally bright display): http://www.k6-team.de/index.php?a=165
Expensive, but works well, no soldering needed, easy to move from one plane to the other.

CU, Winfried

Hi Alessandro,

if you want pinch zoom, 7" and XCSoar, you will most probably want to use some kind of Android tablet. Everything else might require assembling stuff yourself, like the PC based systems that have been built or e.g. the Open Vario Project. You may want to search the web for the latter, it is pretty interesting.

BTW.: Wow! Room for a 7" screen, you must have monster glider! ;0)

Viele Grüße
Martin Kopplow

Mobil <a href="tel:%2B49%20171%207984740" value="+491717984740" target="_blank">+49 171 7984740

---