ADS-B input

Robert Hart
Hi folks

I just came across this hardware on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bad-elf/bad-elf-ads-b-affordable-weather-and-traffic-recei?ref=category_popular

It is considerably cheaper than other ADS-B solutions I have seen and it
has an integral 8 hour battery. It doesn't have flarm capability, but I
know that some hardware has more than one input available.

What do people think?

--

*Robert Hart [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>*
+61 438 385 533

Re: ADS-B input

Martin Kopplow
Well except for the WiFi, it does not seem to do much more for me than the TRX-1000 I already have several years, for about the same price. Also, it appears bigger and my favorite app is not among those listed on their Kickstarter page. (And adding WiFi to the TRX would only be about €25 by just buying a standard WiFi module online, and half an hour soldering a cable for it, should need be.)

How good is the live ADS-B weather actually? Is it worth the effort (for a glider pilot, that is)?

Martin
---

Am 18.12.2015 um 18:46 schrieb Morgan Hall <[hidden email]>:

I looked at it and considered backing it for my use in Power planes, but I'm a Foreflight user and it's questionable if Foreflight will support it.  For gliders, it doesn't interest me right now. I don't have a need for weather in the cockpit and Flarm already provides me with ADSB traffic and the added FLARM traffic which is far more useful where I fly.  Hopefully they hit their Kickstarter goals though.  Options and competition are good for consumers.

Morgan

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Robert Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks

I just came across this hardware on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bad-elf/bad-elf-ads-b-affordable-weather-and-traffic-recei?ref=category_popular

Re: ADS-B input

Peter Nyffeler
Dear soaring colleagues,
Please be aware that the Kickstarter project is NOT intended for glider pilots, especially not for Europeans.
It has features for services not provided in Europe, as far as I know. The TRX-1000 mentioned by Martin, nor PowerFlarm, doesn't them.  Therefore the Kickstarter project may be of interest to American glider pilots.
So I hope they will be successful and not having troubles with FAA due the lack for certification.
If we would have real ADS-B at 978MHz in Europe, I guess we wouldn't have to install those power consuming mode-S transponders which can cause fault alarms of TCAS in airliners e.g. by winch launched gliders.

Peter

Am 18.12.2015 um 19:31 schrieb [hidden email]:
[...]

peter.vcf (321 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: ADS-B input

Morgan Hall
A more interesting project is the Stratux project.  http://stratux.me.  Essentially a Raspberry Pi based ADSB receiver.  A single band version can be built for about $120 US.  Dual band with GPS drives the cost up another $50 or so.  Some people even have AHRS working although I did not acquire the modules for that yet.  Apparently AHRS stopped working in the latest version of Foreflight.

I ordered all the parts to build a Dual Band version for my power plane.  The US with it's darn Dual Band option just complicates things, but this is a relatively cheap option for traffic display on a Tablet running some EFB.

Morgan