Quantcast

Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Paul Coolwind
ANNOUNCING

XCSoar for PNA devices , pre-final release 5.2.2 (currently based on 5.1.9b7/b9, soon aligned with the latest head version.)

This is a beta version for people already using a PNA with XCsoar on it.
It is not for newby users, there are no instructions.

Get it from:
w w w . b w a r e . i t / l i s t i n g / x c s o a r

Please read carefully, since this is the only doc I am releasing for this beta version.

PNA VERSION FEATURES

*** "Coolpath"
Search for the XCSoarData is done this way: if your xcsoar.exe (or whatever you have called it) is placed on an external card, such as an SD, then XCsoar will assume that the XCSoarData directory will be on the same device. Basically the rule is: the data directory is on the same device where the executable program resides.

*** Startup messages
During startup, in the progress bar screen you will read the current
localpath in use - that is the path to XCSoarData .
Then you will see the PNA model type being used.

*** Final GR  new infobox
Final GR (glide ratio) is a geometric standard calculation for the GR to the final destination.
It does not take into account wind and total energy. It is exactly the same number you would get on a Garmin or on SeeYou for example.
You will discover that it is often very similar toFinal L/D, but when there's wind or you have an high speed it is very interesting to keep an eye on both values: Final LD and Final GR will make your bell ring if there's something unusual with wind or speed.

*** Screen toggle variation
Normally when you toggle screen infoboxes, you switch between Normal and Aux.
PNA version is switching from Normal to Auxiliary infobox, then to Full Screen mode, then you hear a Bell sound and you are back to normal mode.
Example: Normal mode -> Aux mode -> Full screen -> bell sound -> Normal mode

*** Infobox geometry configuration
In Config menu 11 a new box is available (as an expert option) to change infobox geometry. Values range from 0 to 7, and they differ between landscape and portrait mode. Each time you change it, you must exit and restart xcsoar to see the differences.

For landscape mode:
        0=1=2=3=6 9 boxes on the right, with vario gauge
        4 8 boxes on the left, no vario gauge
        5 5 boxes on the right, with vario gauge
        7 5 boxes on the right, no vario gauge

For portrait mode:
        0 Boxes on top and bottom
        1 only bottom
        2 only top
        3 left and right boxes
        4 only left boxes
        5 only right boxes
        6 vario gauge and boxes
        7 I don't remember

*** Embedded PNA settings
Currently if you own an HP31X or a VDO DAYTON PN6000, a special configuration is used automatically.
Fonts are preset, and hardware keys are perfectly handled.
Please be sure to: REMOVE YOUR OLD PROFILE, DELEtE ALL REGISTRY KEYS OF XCSOAR, remove  xcsoar-persist.log , and then you are ready to use the new version.
Do not mix up old profile and old registry with this version: you will not probably get the font settings correctly.
You will not need to modify the registry-profile anymore, hopefully.

*** "Coolname"
There is only one version of XCSoar for PNA. Currently one of the way to tell it that you want an xcsoar for - say - the hp310 , is to put this model type.. in the executable name. Very easy to do, just rename it putting a trailing:
  _hp31x    (underscore hp31x, cases do not matter)

  _pn6000 (for dayton pn 6000)

  _pna (for generic pnas: this is the default if you don't put a model type).

The leading characters do not count, so for example valid names are:

        xcsoar.exe = generic pna
        Myprog_PnA.exe = generic pna
        MyProg_hp31x.exe = HP31X Pna
        Whatever_comment_pn6000.exe = VDO Dayton pn6000

If you own a MIO navigator (which is CE CORE 5.0) use the generic PNA.

SPECIAL FEATURES FOR HP31X (HP310, 312, 314, 316)

--> IMPORTANT: this beta cannot be called CElauncher.exe, please run
 it manually. If you call it CElauncher it will start up as a generic PNA.
 This is going to be fixed in a week.

Download files: XCSoarPNA_HP31X.exe , default.xci  and HP31X.xci

*** Full support for the scroll wheel
- Up and down in the map screen will zoom In and Out.
- Press the wheel to toggle normal->aux>fullscreen->normal
- Press longer the wheel to enter Pan mode.
- In Pan mode scroll wheel will zoom in and out.
- Press again longer the wheel to exit Pan mode.

- Select an infobox, like MacCready. Press the scroll wheel to toggle
  between Auto and Manual MacCready.
- Select an infobox like Wind, use the scroll wheel to change the value.
- etc.etc. . play around and discover yourself.

*** Fonts are embedded
Please follow instructions as stated before, in order to use embedded font settings.

*** Use the HP31X.xci  event file.
By default, all PNA versions have a standard event file, which is the
"default.xci" you can find in the download directory.
Get the "HP31X.xci" for making full use of scroll wheel .
You can change it. Please note that there is a #CLEAR at the beginning,
meaning that at all effects this event file will override the internal at the startup.
Set the HP31X.xci event in Config Menu 10 (interface) in the expert Event box.
All .XCI files must be in the XCSoarData directory.

*** Long press of the scroll wheel
The long press of the side scroll wheel is actually transcoded to be an ESCAPE key.

SPECIAL FEATURES for VDO Dayton PN6000

*** Embedded fonts (see HP31X for instructions)

*** Full support of the remote infrared keypad!

Arrow Keys are:  up, down, left, right, return.
Special keys are:
                silver up, silver down
                transcoded to APP1 and APP2

                back plus and back minus
                transcoded to APP3 and APP4

                long press silver keys:
                transcoded to F1 and F2

So you know how to modify your favourite XCI file.

*** Download default.xci (to be modified) and XCSoarPNA_PN6000.exe

RELEASE NOTES
It took really some time to adjust settings and solve big and small problems related to these PNA devices.
However, there are now some standard approaches to customisations (such as key transcoding, smart path, smart name etc.) that in the future adding any other PNA will be very quick.
Please report to me your feelings about the user interface, suggestions, optimal fonts and profiles, etc.

I could also check that this PNA (CE CORE) version is working also on HP4700, just to let you know.

Paolo

Re: Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Paul Coolwind
I forgot to say the the Final GR value is with a decimal between 1 and 99, then it is without a decimal.
Example:
 24.8
 99.2
 103

Valid range display is between 1 and 200. Outside these value, --- is displayed.
We might change this, however for higher values I think the Final LD is more appropriate.

Paolo

Re: Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Peter Bellham
Great job, like the new infobox geometry options.

Have replayed one of my flights on my HP 314 and all looks good apart from some coloured lines and severe jagging of the line to the next waypoint for part of the flight. Is this display problem outstanding or would you like more details, files, whatever?

Regards
Peter

Re: Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Paul Coolwind
Hi Peter

the problems you mention are well known. They are due to a VGA driver bug in
the HP environment.
We solved a bigger problem involving snail trail, which is now ok.
The zigzag bearing line will be investigated, and those thin lines you can
see sometimes are part of the same problem.
In other words, we know what the problem is and we know that it takes some
time to fix it since it's a workaround..
By now this is the best we could do with the Hp31X

Paolo

> Great job, like the new infobox geometry options.
>
> Have replayed one of my flights on my HP 314 and all looks good apart from
> some coloured lines and severe jagging of the line to the next waypoint
> for
> part of the flight. Is this display problem outstanding or would you like
> more details, files, whatever?
>
> Regards
> Peter

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
> local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK
> and
> Ajax docs to start building applications
> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
> 10/02/2009 17.44

 Sponsor:
 Incontri con Meetic : Primo sito d'incontri in Europa - Milioni di single !
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8293&d=12-2

Re: Announcing new XCSoar beta version for PNA HP31x , Dayton PN6000, MIO etc.

Peter Bellham
Thank you, Paolo. I guessed that was the situation; the snail trail is a great improvement.
Interesting that when the cruise screen had the zigzag line, the circling screen bearing line was often pointing in the wrong direction and the wrong length.
Regards
Peter
Paul Coolwind wrote