Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Robert Hart
Hi

I'm trying to connect my Nano logger via Bluetooth to XCSoar on a Samsung tablet, but can't get it to work. What device should I be selecting in XCSoar?

--
Robert Hart
+61 438 385 533

Re: Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Max Kellermann
On 2016/11/08 12:30, Robert Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to connect my Nano logger via Bluetooth to XCSoar on a Samsung
> tablet, but can't get it to work. What device should I be selecting in
> XCSoar?

Uh, your Nano?

Re: Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Robert Hart
Hi Max

:-) I should have said driver!

I have disabled the Samsung GPS (device A) and
1) Paired the Samsung and nano successfully
2) Started XCSoar and gone to config>devices
3) Selected device "LX-NAV-NANO-2438 (which is what the Nano is paired as) as device B
4) Selected driver "LXNAV"
5) I have passthough device off, Sync from device on, Sync to device on, K6bt off

and I get "error" or "not connected"

I'm clearly doing something wrong - but what?

On 8 November 2016 at 21:33, Max Kellermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2016/11/08 12:30, Robert Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to connect my Nano logger via Bluetooth to XCSoar on a Samsung
> tablet, but can't get it to work. What device should I be selecting in
> XCSoar?

Uh, your Nano?

On 2016/11/08 13:21, Robert Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have disabled the Samsung GPS (device A) and
> 1) Paired the Samsung and nano successfully
> 2) Started XCSoar and gone to config>devices
> 3) Selected device "LX-NAV-NANO-2438 (which is what the Nano is paired as)
> as device B
> 4) Selected driver "LXNAV"
> 5) I have passthough device off, Sync from device on, Sync to device on,
> K6bt off

All of that is entirely correct!  (And describing what you did already
is essential for other people to help you.)

> and I get "error" or "not connected"

There are a few things which can go wrong here.  For example, the Nano
could be unreachable.  Or it could already be connected to another
device (your computer?) or to another app (LXNAV's NanoConfig?).  Or
Bluetooth could be turned off.

Try with XCSoar-testing (7.0 preview), it shows more verbose error
messages.

Re: Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Thomas Van de Velde

Also make sure you have the latest Nano firmware.  I've had issues with older versions.

Thomas

On Nov 8, 2016 6:36 AM, "Max Kellermann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2016/11/08 13:21, Robert Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have disabled the Samsung GPS (device A) and
> 1) Paired the Samsung and nano successfully
> 2) Started XCSoar and gone to config>devices
> 3) Selected device "LX-NAV-NANO-2438 (which is what the Nano is paired as)
> as device B
> 4) Selected driver "LXNAV"
> 5) I have passthough device off, Sync from device on, Sync to device on,
> K6bt off

All of that is entirely correct!  (And describing what you did already
is essential for other people to help you.)

> and I get "error" or "not connected"

There are a few things which can go wrong here.  For example, the Nano
could be unreachable.  Or it could already be connected to another
device (your computer?) or to another app (LXNAV's NanoConfig?).  Or
Bluetooth could be turned off.

Try with XCSoar-testing (7.0 preview), it shows more verbose error
messages.

Re: Connecting an LX NANO via blutooth to Samsung TAB 3 (8 inch)

Robert Hart

Many thanks guys. I downloaded the 7.0 testing version and connected immediately, using the lxnav driver. I had updated my nano to the latest firmware as nanocfg required that.

I then went back and tried it with the latest stable version too, and everything worked just fine.

I've no idea why it wouldn't before though!

The cradle for my tablet should arrive this week and I'll be ready to roll!

Robert Hart
+61 438 385 533

On 8 Nov 2016 23:43, "Daryl Mackay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rob,

I found that I had to use a specific start up procedure to get all my devices to connect.
I run the FLARM, Borgelt vario and LX Nano for the complete picture and even leave the built in GPS as final backup.
>From memory
1. I turn on all my ACFT nav equipment first
2. Ensure XCSoar is off.
3. Plug in my Data/Pwr cable to Samsung device
4. Launch XCSoar
     a. "Allow the App XCSoar to access the USB accessory. Select "Cancel"
XCSoar Select Configure Page1 of 3
Select Devices "A" "B" "C" "D" where I have 3 external nav devices and built in Samsung GPS & Sensors
For your question though:
XCSoar Select Configure Page1 of 3
Select Devices "A" (or as required)
Edit
Driver "Generic"
K6bt "Off"
This will then display "GPS Fix, Baro"

Again, I could not get my setup to work without going through this procedure on each and every power up. Worked reliably for a very successful season of 30 OLC submitted flights last season.

Kind regards
Daryl