I: Problem with right track on XCSoar

Fabrizio Curreri

For information, today I flight with the 6.7.9 XCSoar Version, and I had no problems. Same android device, Huawei Y6II Pro with android 6.0. And I checked with accuracy, for 40 km from my base to it.

Regards

Fabrizio

Re: I: Problem with right track on XCSoar

Michael Rossi

Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I noticed there was a consistent 8 to 10 degree difference in the Bearing and the track between XCSoar and my Cambridge GPS-Nav.

I am running XCSoar 6.8.6 on a Samsung SM-J320V.

Displaying both traces on SeeU showed no difference in position, some difference in altitude at the higher altitudes (200 ft difference at 5000').

This was the first time I had the phone mounted where I could see it throughout the flight, so I cannot comment on earlier flights.

Regards,

Mike

On 6/11/2017 3:20 PM, Fabrizio Curreri wrote:

For information, today I flight with the 6.7.9 XCSoar Version, and I had no problems. Same android device, Huawei Y6II Pro with android 6.0. And I checked with accuracy, for 40 km from my base to it.

Regards

Fabrizio

R: I: Problem with right track on XCSoar

Fabrizio Curreri

Sorry, you’re right, I didn’t give you the wind information.

On Saturday (when I flight with 6.8.7 version) XCSoar gave 12 Km/h of wind in front, on Sunday (when I flight with 6.7.9 version) XCSoar gave from 14 to 16 km/h.

And I think the information about wind was good, because I came back to home.

So from any direction I think this wind speed doesn’t justify a similar correction track.

Regards

Fabrizio

I: I: Problem with right track on XCSoar

Fabrizio Curreri

Last information: I fly with McReady set to 0.

Regards

Fabrizio

Re: I: Problem with right track on XCSoar

Michael Rossi

I may not have been clear.  I saw a consistent difference between the track displayed by XCSoar and the track displayed by GPS-Nav.  The same difference appeared between the bearing displayed by XCSoar and the bearing displayed GPS-Nav.  This was true even when I wan not heading toward the turn point.  I cannot say which was correct.

I believe both units display bearing and track as True and not magnetic, though if that is not true, it would explain a difference.

Mike

On 6/12/2017 2:42 AM, Ramy Yanetz wrote:
[...]

Martin Kopplow
Just out of curiosity and to narrow down on  the magnetic track issue: All you are reporting happened in Italy, right? Or are we talking different locations or even hemispheres? I can' t see trying different versions at random leading anywhere.

What exactly was wrong? Value in info box, or track line on map? If one of the above, was the track line different from the value in the info box? Was the own position at the time displayed accurately? Was the same waypoint file used in all cases? Was it accurate? Were the same prefs used? Was the wind set manually or auto in all cases?

Before trying versions, I'd compare settings and data used, and make sure they all match or are in fact fully supported by the actual version used, to exclude possible sources of error.

Martin

mobile +49 171 7984740

Am 12.06.2017 15:11 schrieb Michael Rossi <[hidden email]>:

> I may not have been clear.  I saw a consistent difference between the track displayed by XCSoar and the track displayed by GPS-Nav.  The same difference appeared between the bearing displayed by XCSoar and the bearing displayed GPS-Nav.  This was true even when I wan not heading toward the turn point.  I cannot say which was correct.
>
> I believe both units display bearing and track as True and not magnetic, though if that is not true, it would explain a difference.
>
> Mike
>

> On 6/12/2017 2:42 AM, Ramy Yanetz wrote:
>>
>> The reason for the discrepancies is probably the wind. With strong enough cross wind the heading and bearing are not the same.
>>
>> Ramy
>>

>> On Jun 11, 2017, at 3:03 PM, Michael Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I noticed there was a consistent 8 to 10 degree difference in the Bearing and the track between XCSoar and my Cambridge GPS-Nav.
>>>
>>> I am running XCSoar 6.8.6 on a Samsung SM-J320V.
>>>
>>> Displaying both traces on SeeU showed no difference in position, some difference in altitude at the higher altitudes (200 ft difference at 5000').
>>>
>>> This was the first time I had the phone mounted where I could see it throughout the flight, so I cannot comment on earlier flights.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

Åke Pettersson
Check:
World Magnetic Model från NOAA
Ake Pettersson

Just out of curiosity and to narrow down on  the magnetic track issue: All you are reporting happened in Italy, right? Or are we talking different locations or even hemispheres? I can' t see trying different versions at random leading anywhere.

What exactly was wrong? Value in info box, or track line on map? If one of the above, was the track line different from the value in the info box? Was the own position at the time displayed accurately? Was the same waypoint file used in all cases? Was it accurate? Were the same prefs used? Was the wind set manually or auto in all cases?

Before trying versions, I'd compare settings and data used, and make sure they all match or are in fact fully supported by the actual version used, to exclude possible sources of error.

Martin

mobile +49 171 7984740

Am 12.06.2017 15:11 schrieb Michael Rossi <[hidden email]>:

> I may not have been clear.  I saw a consistent difference between the track displayed by XCSoar and the track displayed by GPS-Nav.  The same difference appeared between the bearing displayed by XCSoar and the bearing displayed GPS-Nav.  This was true even when I wan not heading toward the turn point.  I cannot say which was correct.
>
> I believe both units display bearing and track as True and not magnetic, though if that is not true, it would explain a difference.
>
> Mike
>

> On 6/12/2017 2:42 AM, Ramy Yanetz wrote:
>>
>> The reason for the discrepancies is probably the wind. With strong
>> enough cross wind the heading and bearing are not the same.
>>
>> Ramy
>>

>> On Jun 11, 2017, at 3:03 PM, Michael Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I noticed there was a consistent 8 to 10 degree difference in the Bearing and the track between XCSoar and my Cambridge GPS-Nav.
>>>
>>> I am running XCSoar 6.8.6 on a Samsung SM-J320V.
>>>
>>> Displaying both traces on SeeU showed no difference in position, some difference in altitude at the higher altitudes (200 ft difference at 5000').
>>>
>>> This was the first time I had the phone mounted where I could see it throughout the flight, so I cannot comment on earlier flights.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

Hello Martin, thanks for your questions. I answer below, to your and to the Dan questions:

1) Yes. What I report happened in Italy. On Saturday coming from Montagnana to Padova (my home), on Sunday coming from Ferrara-Rovigo to Padova.
2) The value on the infobox and the track arrow was wrong (30 degree to left of final waypoint)
3) Yes, the position fo the fona destination (waypoint Padova) were different from the track line
4) Also my group said me if I mistake the waypoint. But I used the same file of waypoint (named LX20-2015.dat), before with IPAQ 3950 with Flarm and then with Android device, the same on Saturday and on Sunday. And the same file allways took me home (until 300 km)
5) the wind were set for "both" automatic option, circle and zig-zig.
6) I used allways the same profile, ls1.prf (I fly with LS1-f), before with Ipaq and Flarm and then with different XCsoar verson on Android device
7) I used the GPS inside the Android device, internally connected to XCSoar. So I have only one device.

Thanks to Dan for McReady setting information, I will think about, but I don't think is relevant with the problem reported.

I understand that you have many questions for me, and I respond gladly.

But please, consider that I keep XCSoar training sessions to my group. I sponsor XCSoar from the 4.2 version in 2005. You can ask to Scott Penrose and John Wharington, and more recent to Max Kellerman. In 2006 I gave a very little contribute with language translation in Italian.

So please, I can mistake, but I intend to give a contribute to solve the problem if exist, not to create it.

Please, feel you free to send me other questions, I will respond gladly.

Best regards
Fabrizio

Just out of curiosity and to narrow down on  the magnetic track issue: All you are reporting happened in Italy, right? Or are we talking different locations or even hemispheres? I can' t see trying different versions at random leading anywhere.

What exactly was wrong? Value in info box, or track line on map? If one of the above, was the track line different from the value in the info box? Was the own position at the time displayed accurately? Was the same waypoint file used in all cases? Was it accurate? Were the same prefs used? Was the wind set manually or auto in all cases?

Before trying versions, I'd compare settings and data used, and make sure they all match or are in fact fully supported by the actual version used, to exclude possible sources of error.

Martin

mobile +49 171 7984740

Am 12.06.2017 15:11 schrieb Michael Rossi <[hidden email]>:

> I may not have been clear.  I saw a consistent difference between the track displayed by XCSoar and the track displayed by GPS-Nav.  The same difference appeared between the bearing displayed by XCSoar and the bearing displayed GPS-Nav.  This was true even when I wan not heading toward the turn point.  I cannot say which was correct.
>
> I believe both units display bearing and track as True and not magnetic, though if that is not true, it would explain a difference.
>
> Mike
>

> On 6/12/2017 2:42 AM, Ramy Yanetz wrote:
>>
>> The reason for the discrepancies is probably the wind. With strong
>> enough cross wind the heading and bearing are not the same.
>>
>> Ramy
>>

>> On Jun 11, 2017, at 3:03 PM, Michael Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I noticed there was a consistent 8 to 10 degree difference in the Bearing and the track between XCSoar and my Cambridge GPS-Nav.
>>>
>>> I am running XCSoar 6.8.6 on a Samsung SM-J320V.
>>>
>>> Displaying both traces on SeeU showed no difference in position, some difference in altitude at the higher altitudes (200 ft difference at 5000').
>>>
>>> This was the first time I had the phone mounted where I could see it throughout the flight, so I cannot comment on earlier flights.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

Martin,

I am on the US east coast in North Carolina.

I checked the magnetic declination for my area and it would explain the
difference I saw if one of the systems is displaying magnetic rather
than true directions.  I don't recall

Under Set up>...>Look>InfoBoxSets>Cruise >Bearing>Content it says"True
bearing to the next waypoint."  Under Track>Content it says "Magnetic
Track reported by the GPS".  I was surprised these were not both n the
same reference system.  If Bearing is true and Track is magnetic, that
would only explain one of them being different from what was displayed
on the GPS-Nav.

The only thing that appeared incorrect to me was the difference in the
Track and the Bearing between XCSoar and GPS-Nav.  I did not notice
anything on the map that appeared inconsistent.

The difference was small enough that I would not have noticed if the
GPS-Nav was not available and even then I would not have reported it if
it did not sound similar to Fabrizio's post.

I may be adding confusion relative to Fabrizio's issue and I apologize
for that.  I don't want to add any work to those who are doing such a
great job with XCSoar.

Regards,

Mike