Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Sascha Haffner
Hi,

does anyone have any practical experience with these two devices and can say something about their durability / stability of connection?  What is the prefered type of connection anyway?  (So far I am happy with my hardwired IPAQ connection to Flarm, but I am thinking about upgrading to Dell Streak 5).

a) RS232 Bluetooth Adaptor

btw: Does anyone ever has this connected to Flarm or even soldered an RJ45 connector to it?

b) IOIO Android board

btw: Does anyone know alternative sources - since the OEM seems to be sold out?

Thanks a bunch.
Sascha

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Tobias Bieniek
Maybe it's just me but I think your links are broken...

Turbo

2011/12/1 Sascha Haffner <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have any practical experience with these two devices and can say
> something about their durability / stability of connection?  What is the
> prefered type of connection anyway?  (So far I am happy with my hardwired
> IPAQ connection to Flarm, but I am thinking about upgrading to Dell Streak
> 5).
>
> a) RS232 Bluetooth Adaptor
> http://www.box73.de/catalog/product_...oducts_id=2384
>
> btw: Does anyone ever has this connected to Flarm or even soldered an RJ45
> connector to it?
>
> b) IOIO Android board
> http://xcsoar-robd.wikispaces.com/XC...232+%28IOIO%29
>
> btw: Does anyone know alternative sources - since the OEM seems to be sold
> out?
>

> Thanks a bunch.
> Sascha

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Sascha Haffner
Sorry... now with working links... (copy, paste problem). Thanks for the hint.

b) IOIO Android board

Maybe it's just me but I think your links are broken...

Turbo

2011/12/1 Sascha Haffner <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have any practical experience with these two devices and can say
> something about their durability / stability of connection?  What is the
> prefered type of connection anyway?  (So far I am happy with my hardwired
> IPAQ connection to Flarm, but I am thinking about upgrading to Dell Streak
> 5).
>
> a) RS232 Bluetooth Adaptor
> http://www.box73.de/catalog/product_...oducts_id=2384
>
> btw: Does anyone ever has this connected to Flarm or even soldered an RJ45
> connector to it?
>
> b) IOIO Android board
> http://xcsoar-robd.wikispaces.com/XC...232+%28IOIO%29
>
> btw: Does anyone know alternative sources - since the OEM seems to be sold
> out?
>

> Thanks a bunch.
> Sascha

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Ronald Niederhagen
Sascha,
if you are planning to use the Streak (or any other Android phone) I
wound prefer the IOIO board. It provides data AND power.

How do you want to power the device in case you are connecting via BT,
if not over USB.

BTW: the IOIO developers are working on a firmware to use a (cheap)
microUSB to BT dongle to make BT connections with the IOIO board. But it
sounds as if this introduces seconds of latency, which would be prohibitive.

Ronald

Am 01.12.2011 13:27, schrieb Sascha Haffner:

> Sorry... now with working links... (copy, paste problem). Thanks for the
> hint.
> a) RS232 Bluetooth Adaptor
> http://www.box73.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2384
> b) IOIO Android board
> http://xcsoar-robd.wikispaces.com/XCSoar+Android+-+to+-+RS232+%28IOIO%29
>
> *Von:* Tobias Bieniek <[hidden email]>

ytai
Hi there!
IOIO over Bluetooth has been announced and released about a month ago.
Latency is around 20ms one way.
Most standard Bluetooth dongles can be used.

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Tobias Bieniek
Hi Ytai,

what exactly is the advantage of using the IOIO in combination with a
bluetooth dongle? Seems to me that the same can be achieved by just
connecting the BT dongle directly to the serial output of any device.
Am I missing something?!

Turbo

2011/12/2 ytai <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there!
> IOIO over Bluetooth has been announced and released about a month ago.
> Latency is around 20ms one way.
> Most standard Bluetooth dongles can be used.

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Tomek Ziarko
Sascha,
I constructed a double "RS232 Bluetooth Adaptor" + 12-5V Converter and tested it on my last wave flight.

It is working very well with my Dell Streak, not any problem.
I solgered both BT Adapter myself from the set as per your link.
It requires SMD solgering of BT module but it is doable (did it for the first time & it worked).

I am receiving BT signal from Flarm & LX7000 in parallel and they are being mixed in XcSoar.
The solution works very reliable, connectivity is as easy as with a cable.

To get 5V I use HTC auto converter 12-5V that I had spare. But you can get something for 3€ on amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001VICNX2

I was also considering IOIO but decided to go BT:
- it is more proved solution (Max has been flying in this configuration for a year) and the only proven for 2 devices
- is more flexible - you can attach actually any device with BT, not only Android. I am for example downloading flights with hx4700 & WM6 still.
- You can also connect with Laptop via BT to both LX & Flarm - no cable needed - for firmware updates or data loads.
- You have signal even if the cable has some problem - it provides only 5V - you can still operate on the battery.

BUT:
- yes you need a cable anyway
- cable is considered more reliable - however I can see that BT works very, very well.

Looks like both solution are good. Price for components is similar, I think BT solution is slightly cheaper.

Cheers,
Tomek

Ps. Big thanks to Max and other developers for GREAT Android port!

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Simon Taylor-3
In the context of XCSoar, using the IOIO with a bluetooth dongle has two benefits over a plain bluetooth device: We can communicate with multiple devices independently over a single bluetooth link, and we can configure the baud rates of the serial ports in XCSoar, with the potential for auto-detection of baud rates & connected devices in the future. That said, the advantages of connecting to the IOIO over bluetooth instead of over USB are much lower for us than for most other users of the IOIO (electronics hobbyists etc).

A big welcome to Ytai, the creator of the IOIO! :)

Simon

2011/12/2 ytai <[hidden email]>:
> Hi there!
> IOIO over Bluetooth has been announced and released about a month ago.
> Latency is around 20ms one way.
> Most standard Bluetooth dongles can be used.

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

ytai
If all you ever need is a Bluetooth <-> serial adapter, IOIO may be an overkill in terms of how low you can get with your price (although not by much I'm guessing, as you can get IOIO + Bluetooth dongle for less than $50).
However, it has the following advantages:
  • It will seamlessly work over both USB or Bluetooth.
  • It's already built. Only thing you may need to add is a MAX232 for adjusting the voltage levels. Even has the 5V regulator you added on-board.
  • Supports up to 4 concurrent UARTs.
  • Will (arguably) simplify your application, saving you the need for explicitly dealing with the Bluetooth layer.
  • Will easily allow you to expand your application to other peripherals (if you ever need to): buttons, LEDs, motors, various sensors, etc.
Nevertheless - Great build!!!

Re: Self-built Bluetooth Adaptor vs. IOIO Android Board

Sascha Haffner
Hi all, hi Tomek,

thanks for sharing your experience and for all the practical hints.

Meanwhile, I have been busy as well, two days ago I orderd these two BT RS232 devices

a) Bluebox
advantage: supply voltage ca. 8-15V and therefore ideal for our purposes, disadvantage: some soldering work

and

b) Bexpro
advantage: no soldering work, disadvantage: supply voltage might have to changed - will see

each for approx. 35 EUR incl. shipping. I thought not much lost if it's crap and at least I'd learn something.

This morning device a) had already arrived in the mail and since I had a day off, I quickly finished it - after initial setup with a PC (only neccessary, since I wanted the baudrate to be 38400, instead of the default 19200) the gadget worked right from the start (lucky me :-)).  In my "test lab" it's been running without flaws with my IPAQ3870 (XCSoar, ConnectMe, PS Connect) and Flarm connected for about 4 hours.  For you interested, I posted some pics here

Let me know if the link doesn't work (I not too familar with this).  As you can see I managed to directly solder the RJ45 onto it instead of using the SUBD9 connector, so the BT interface plugs directly with an 1:1 Y-adaptor into my Flarm.

Anyhow, winter is long and except for some waves I will most likey see in spring how it works during flight.  Historically I have been more prone to use hardwired connections and still might test the IOIO as well.

Cheers,

http://xcsoar.1045713.n5.nabble.com/file/n5041499/BT0.jpg
http://xcsoar.1045713.n5.nabble.com/file/n5041499/BT3.jpg